ATtiny10 Mini Breakout Board next to a 5mm LED.
A Tiny Breakout for a Tiny Microcontroller
This breakout board is for the ATtiny10 microcontroller. The PCB is 0.25x0.325" and uses 0.050" header pins. The board could actually be made smaller, but I ran into the minimum PCB size limit on OSHPark. Despite the tiny size, I was able to include a 100nF bypass capacitor, power LED, and a user LED on pin PB1. That pin is also the clock pin for the programming interface, so it flashes when the board is being programmed.
This breakout board might be confused for a bug.
How to Program It
The board is so tiny, it's difficult to use and program. It is certainly not breadboard compatible due to the small-pitch headers. To alleviate these problems, I created a small landing pad board for it. This adapts the 0.050" headers to 0.1" headers. Additionally, the landing pad has a 6-pin TPI programming connector. This allows the ATtiny10 to be programmed with an Atmel ICE. You can also program ATtiny10s with an Arduino and a little extra circuitry.
ATtiny10 Mini Breakout Landing Pad
The landing pad is breadboard compatible, and allows you to power,
program, and use the ATtiny10 mini breakout.
What Can I Do With It?
There are many things you could do with a breakout board this small:
- Use it to design the world's smallest quadcopter and become a billionaire
- Build an army of cybernetic bats with ATtiny brains
- Show it off to your friends and demonstrate your fine soldering skills!
- Leave off the headers and make electronic fireflies
- Incorporate it into a project's PCB by adding 0.050" male headers on your board. The ATtiny10 may be tiny, but it has 1k of flash, 4 GPIO, a 16-bit counter, PWM, an ADC, and capacitive touch sensing.
Powering it from miniature BPW34 solar cells. This isn't great for LEDs,
but the microcontroller itself is fully functional.
Assemble Your Own
Here's the information you need if you'd like to assemble your own pint-sized ATtiny10 breakouts.
ATtiny10 Mini Breakout Board: Order PCBs on OSHPark! (select the 0.8mm thickness option)
ATtiny10 Mini Breakout Landing Pad: Order PCBs on OSHPark!
Parts List for Breakout
- Microcontroller: ATtiny10 SOT-23-6
- C1: 100nF 0402 SMD ceramic capacitor
- R1, R2: 680 ohm 0402 SMD resistors, or adjust value to change brightness of LEDs
- LEDs: 2x 0603 SMD, colors of your choice
- A pair of 4 pin 0.050" male headers
Parts List for Landing Pad
ATtiny10 Mini Breakout Schematic
ATtiny10 Mini Breakout Board Layout
ATtiny10 Mini Breakout Landing Pad Schematic
ATtiny10 Mini Breakout Landing Pad Board Layout
There wasn't enough space for (readable) component identification in the
silk screen, so here's a picture showing where the parts go.
If you assemble your own ATtiny10 Mini Breakouts, let me know! This board is kind of a novelty, but it's fun to play with a fully functional AVR breakout that is so small.
Thanks for reading!
- Dan W.